Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Final Countdown - 4 sleeps - Live from the TSB arena caretakers changing room

Well sports fans only 4 sleeps to go, and today’s edition comes to you live form the careakers changing room at the TSB arena, were here, only because we are hoping to get a glimpse of some of the Kiwi Netballers practising ion their tight and skimpy uniforms, but that’s another story
Excitement is starting to build with each passing day, Rear-end has been practising his kicking (how’s your butt toddy?), and Gok has  had “her indoors”  tightening the elastic in his pants so they hold up during the final

Some Quirky stats to start us off
A student studying at the Southern Institute in Invercargill has done a thesis on the movement of a hockey ball during a game (well, what else is there to do in Invercargill for a single lonely person during those cold winter nights)
On average the ball
·         Is hit 3756 times
·         Bounces the equivalent distance of falling from the top of the Sky tower
·         Travels 41.789 KMs
No wonder it’s small, hard and white!

Most Memorable sporting moment
We’ve asked a couple of the players to join us  in the Caretakers room this morning for a quick chat about the most memorable moment in their hockey career so far
Firstly Cambo“well it actually was last week in the semi final.  I got the ball somewhere near our 16, dribbled all the way to the oppositions goal line drawing the goalie, and then passed the ball to trapper, he missed the open goal, but, I “passed” the ball, i mean, i actually passed the ball.  It’s something I’ve wanted to do all my life, the Everest of my hockey career, I’ve been visualising that moment since i got my first pair of long trousers”

Thanks Cambo, also with us is Gus, the nuggetty “well rounded” Young Guns player  
Craig “Gus” McWilliams  - “to be honest, this final is the pinnacle of my career, its  hard to believe but it will  surpass that other  most memorable other game of my life, the grudge match last year against the Farts.  Let’s face it, it’s not every [player that gets to line up against the immortal Farts, and last years thrashing has been a memory that i have long cherished.  Just the thill of being on the same field as players such as Nuts, Legs, Rear-end, Gok, to see the sun glinting off Trappers head and Toddy’s ginga mop streaming back in the breeze.  That thrashing is a memory that will be  engraved in my memory for the rest of my life.  I will be able to bounce grandkids on my knee one day and to tell in whispers that i was there.....”

Thanks Gus, well sports fans, it looks like the Silver Ferns are starting their warm ups, so time for me to go.............

No comments: